A light and delicious summer vegetable detox soup with mung bean to help nourish your body and clean out toxins. Easy water-based soup that tastes amazing.
Summertime is in the air and that calls for light and delicious recipes that make you feel your best! There is often a negative connotation with the word “detox”, but it simple means “ridding the body of excess or unhealthy toxins.” This is important to do because your body can’t always do it on its own, and these days we are exposed to a myriad of toxins.
This summer vegetable detox soup is cleansing in the sense that it is made of pure, wholesome ingredients and will help rid your body of those unwanted toxins. Don’t let that make you think that this soup isn’t delicious and nourishing, though…it so is! It uses summer vegetables and mung beans to give it an incredible base and sustenance.
Why mung beans? Mung beans have a ton of benefits:
- They are packed with vitamins such as B6, potassium, and magnesium
- They are easy to use and taste great! (sort of like lentils)
- A good source of protein, essential amino acids, and fiber
- Can regulate blood sugar and reduce the risk for chronic illness/heart problems
- May aid in digestive health
Ayurvedic and holistic practitioners swear by them.
The beauty about this recipe is that you can add whatever mix of vegetables you’d like! Some other ideas that go well: leeks, fennel, and mushrooms. I like sprinkling Daiya dairy-free/soy-free cheese on top!
This recipe makes a big batch of goodness that you can serve to multiple people, or keep in the refrigerator for up to a week and the freezer for up to 6 months.
Summer Vegetable Detox Soup
- Soup pot
- 8 c. Water
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil Organic Extra Virgin (my preference)
- 1 c. Celery Chopped
- 1/3 Onion Diced (I like red!)
- 3 Garlic Cloves Peeled and minced
- 3/4 c. Mung Beans Cooked (see first instruction)
- 1 1/2 c. Carrots Peeled and chopped
- 1/2 Purple Cabbage Optional to add in Kale also
- 1 c. Broccoli Floriets
- 1 Yellow Squash Chopped
- 1 Zucchini Chopped
- 1 1/2 c. Okra Chopped or full
- 1 pinch Paprika
- 2 tsp. Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- Handful Parsley
- Sprig Thyme Optional
- To cook mung beans: Boil a pot of water and then add in the mung beans. Let sit for 15 minutes. Then drain and rinse. Add mung beans back into the pot with 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil and then let simmer for about 20 minutes or until beans are fully cooked.
- In a large soup pot, saute the chopped onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the carrots and celery and saute another 4 minutes.
- Add in the cabbage/kale blend and continue sauteing for 3 more minutes.
- Add in the 6 cups of water and the cooked mung beans. and then salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring to boil and let simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add broccoli, zucchini, squash and okra and bring to another boil and let simmer another 3-5 minutes.
- Taste soup and add in parsley, thyme, or any other desired herbs and spices.
Questions? Comments? I’d love to know what you think! If you liked this summer vegetable detox soup recipe, please be sure to give it a 5 star rating in the comments below:)