Beautiful grain-free carrot cake with cream cheese frosting recipe. Warm spices, naturally sweetened and made with whole, healthy ingredients. Gluten-free, dairy-free, and paleo-friendly.
I love celebrating Easter with a beautiful carrot cake. Easter=bunnies=carrots. Right? Even more, I love celebrating Easter with a beautiful grain-free carrot cake. It makes me feel so good to bake delicious desserts for the people I love with all whole, natural ingredients.
For some reason, growing up, I used to think carrot cakes were boring, but now I appreciate the beauty of the hints of orange and the decadence of the fillings and frostings. Although carrot cakes are an obvious choice for Easter, this cake is actually amazing for any celebration! The cake is moist and tender and the frosting is thick and creamy. It is very easy to make, and several parts can be prepped the day before!
For decoration and in the mood of Spring/Easter, I toasted some coconut flakes to make a little “nest” on top and filled it with walnuts and raisins as the “eggs”. You could also fill it with chocolate candy eggs. So easy.
This is a great celebration cake and is best served with hot tea and good friends 😉 It keeps in the refrigerator for about 1 week, but can be stored frozen for up to a month.
Grain-Free Carrot Cake with Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 c. Almond flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- Pinch Pink Himalayan salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. Ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 2 c. Finely peeled and shredded carrots
- 1/2 c. Raisins I used golden
- 1 c. Chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 c. Chopped Dates Chop finely so they don't sink to the bottom
- 1/3 c. Maple syrup
For the Frosting:
- 1 1/4 c. Raw Cashews Soak for 1 hour beforehand, then drain and rinse
- 1/2 c. Full-fat Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/2 c. Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch cake pan with coconut oil and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Peel and grate carrots. (Tip: This can be done the day before)
- In a medium bowk, whisk together the almond flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and maple syrup. Then, slowly fold in the dry ingredients.
- Add in the carrots, raisins, dates, and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Allow to cool on a cooling rack completely before putting any frosting on.
For the Frosting:
- Blend together the soaked cashews, coconut milk, maple syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before frosting. (Tip: you can make the frosting the day before, but I think it holds best when made the same day as the cake).
Questions? Comments? I’d love to know what you think! If you liked this grain-free carrot cake recipe please be sure to give it a 5 star rating in the comments below:)