Delicious shortbread cookies (grain-free and vegan) layered with a rich dark chocolate frosting. A recipe that can be used for any shape or decoration of cookie!
Dark Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
One of my favorite things to do is to make cookies for people. I love showing my love through baking for others! For Valentine’s Day this year, I decided to make these love-inspired dark chocolate shortbread cookies for my loved ones.
These cookies are grain and gluten-free (made with a blend of cassava and coconut flour) and also vegan and refined-sugar free. Depending on the dark chocolate you choose to use, you can make the frosting more or less sweet. I used a 85% dark chocolate with dried raspberries in it and it was delicious. Pro tip: this dough can be used for any shape or decoration of cookie! Use it like a classic shortbread recipe.
These cookies are extremely easy to make! Sometimes making healthier cookies, I have issues with the dough, but this dough should come out extremely easy to shape and hold. I made the heart shapes by hand, but you can also use a cookie-cutter mold and/or make them into any shape you want!
Baking cookies is an amazing form of self-care in my opinion! Treat yourself or a loved one to these this year and have fun decorating them!
Be sure to let the cookies cool on a cooling rack for 20-30 minutes before frosting. Best served with a glass of oat milk 😉 enjoy!
Dark Chocolate Shortbread Cookies (Gluten-Free and Vegan)
- 1/2 c. Cassava Flour
- 1/2 c. Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1 c. Coconut Oil melted
- 2 tbsp. Flax Seed mixed with 4 tbsp. water
- 1/2 bar Dark Chocolate I used one with raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together the cassava and coconut flour and baking powder
- Separately, mix the flax seed mixed with water, coconut oil, vanilla, and maple syrup. Add this into the dry ingredients once well mixed.
- Using your hands or a mold, shape dough into heart shaped cookes (or any shape!), makes about 16 cookies, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes and then let cool 30 minutes before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Break up 1/2 bar dark chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, stirring, and adding another 30 seconds if needed until melted. Spread onto cookies.
Questions? Comments? I’d love to know what you think! If you liked this Dark Chocolate Shortbread Cookie recipe, please be sure to give it a 5 star rating in the comments below:)