Vegan and Gluten-Free Cherry Pie Bars with Crumble. An easy and delicious spin on a classic cherry pie with lots of crumble on top.
Cherry Pie Bars w/ Crumble
When life gives you cherries, make these cherry pie bars. They are vegan, gluten-free, and refined-sugar free. 🙂
There’s something about cherries in the summer. They are so juicy and sweet when they are in season and they can add such an amazing flavor to so many dishes! I love cherries in desserts and my favorite is when the cherry inside is nice and gooey and warm and you put a big scoop of vanilla (dairy-free if you’re like me) ice cream on top!
I used fresh cherries from Branch Box to make his recipe, but you can also use frozen. If you are using fresh cherries and need some pitting tips, check out this article– it was so helpful to me in pitting my cherries!
Related: Vegan Layer Cheesecake Bars
This recipe is fairly easy to make. If you haven’t already, be sure to check out the article linked above for different cherry pitting techniques (it can be a life-saver for a recipe like this!). I do have a few cooking tips though! Be sure to press down the crust tightly in a pan lined with parchment paper. Also, when stirring the cherries, make sure the consistency isn’t too liquidy. It should be somewhat syrupy and sticky. Lastly, make sure to let the bars cool completely before removing and cutting them. I let the whole pan sit on a cooling rack to cool.
Related: Fig Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Cherry Pie Bars w/ Crumble (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
For the Crust:
- 1 c. Gluten-Free Rolled Oats
- 1 1/3 c. Gluten-Free Flour or Almond Flour
- 1/3 c, Coconut Oil melted
- 1/4 c. Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp. Pink Himalayan Salt
For the Filling:
- 3 c. Frozen or fresh cherries pitted
- 1/2 c. Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp. Arrowroot powder
- 1/2 Lemon squeezed
For the Crumble:
- 3/4 c. Gluten-Free Flour or Almond Flour
- 3 tbsp. Coconut oil melted
- 1/4 tsp. Pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9x9 inch pan with parchment paper and also a baking sheet with parchment paper for the crumble.
- Crumble: Whisk everything together in a small bowl until mixed well. Crumble the mixture onto the baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes then set aside. Crumble again if needed to.
- Crust: In a food processor, pulse the oats until somewhat fine. Then add to a medium bowl and which with the dry ingredeints. Add in the coconut oil and mix well. Press the crust firmly into the pan and bake for 24 minutes.
- Filling: Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, stir together all ingredients except the arrowroot over medium heat, breaking up cherries with spoon. Once the mixture is at a full boil, add in the arrowroot powder. Once it is dissolved, turn to low heat and let simmer for 5 more minutes. Pour mixture over the crust and bake for another 20 minutes. Add crumble and bake for 3 more minutes.
- Let cool in pan completely before taking out to cut. Enjoy!
Questions? Comments? I’d love to know what you think! If you liked this cherry pie bars recipe, please be sure to give it a 5 star rating in the comments below:)